Thursday, July 21, 2016

Public Service Announcement

Greetings friends.  I received some feedback yesterday via FB regarding my blog.  It wasn’t the friendliest message, but I appreciate and encourage any feedback, good or bad.  The person sent the message to me privately so I’ll keep their identity private, but I’d like to respond publicly so that everyone is clear on where I stand and what this blog is all about. 

In a nutshell, the message I received said that I should be ashamed because I’m encouraging people to be fat.  They said that being fat is very unhealthy and dangerous and I shouldn’t be glorifying it.  Allow me to address this complaint. 

  1      .1. Fact: Over 2/3 of adults are considered to be overweight.   Fact: Over 1/3 of adults are considered to be obese.  I didn’t create the obesity epidemic.  It already existed long before I began my blog.  I’m not encouraging anyone to gain a bunch of weight.  If you think I am, then you’ve missed the point entirely. 
     
2.       2.  In my opinion there is a lack of support for individuals who are overweight.  We (the fat people of the world) are shamed and treated with disdain and it’s time for that to stop.  THAT’S the point of my blog.  I’m not glorifying obesity.  I’m just striving to help those who are already overweight to ignore the labels and criticisms that society assigns them.  I want them to find ways to become comfortable in their own skin and learn to love themselves.  
    
      3.Yes, being overweight or obese is unhealthy.  We know.  Us fat people have been told REPEATEDLY by everyone we come in contact with about that dangers of extra weight.  We know.  We get it.  We don’t need outsiders harping on us about a topic that we have become very well acquainted with. 
      
      4.We can’t wave a magic wand or rub a lamp and suddenly be thin.  Losing weight is a very long, very challenging battle.  Personally, I’ve been working with a trainer for almost a year.  I’ve lost some weight; the number isn’t important.  What’s important is the surge in confidence I’ve developed.  I want to share that confidence with others and help them overcome all the bullying and self-loathing.  Yes, it’s been a year and I’m still fat.  But you know something; I learned I don’t need to be thin, or to have the approval of others, to love myself. 

So there you have it.  Some of the goals I’ve set for my blog spelled out.  If you disagree, that’s fine.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  And feel free to leave comments or send me messages on social media.  Like I said, I encourage any feedback.  Thanks for listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment