Monday, August 8, 2016

Pretty Women

Greetings, friends.  We all have those days where we just don’t feel confident. I’m not talking about depression (that’s a topic for a later date).  I mean those days were everything seems cloudy and blah. I have a suggestion for surviving those days that some of you will totally agree with but some of you may find offensive. It’s very simple. Put on a dress. Or a skirt. Or even just makeup. 

I can already feel some of you rolling your eyes. You’re saying that this suggestion just feeds into antiquated gender roles and stereotypes. Do me a favor and hear me out.  That’s not what this is about.  I don’t believe anyone should be forced to wear a dress or heels simply because society says so. But while I’m NOT saying that you are required to play dress up, I AM saying that dressing sharply can, and usually will, make you feel better and more confident. I didn’t invent this fact. Your brain did. If you still disagree with me, go complain to your prefrontal cortex. 

There’s an old expression that I live by that says ‘Look good, Feel good.’ Sometimes all it takes to change your mood is a swishy skirt.  Even on those days where I’m going to be on the run and don’t feel like dealing with a dress, a little mascara and lip gloss will work just fine. I don’t know why it works, but it does. When I take a little extra time getting ready, I feel more confident and self-assured.  I become more productive, more friendly, and just more fun to be around. I must warn you though; in order for this to work you must adhere to one simple but crucial rule: Do NOT dress for anyone but yourself. Wear something that makes you feel sexy and adventurous. Dressing to please someone else completely defeats the purpose.

As a general rule, there are some staples that every woman should have at the ready.  I feel that every woman’s closet should have at least one dress appropriate for weddings, one for funerals, one for interviews, and one for dates. There may very well be some overlap, but your wardrobe should always be prepared to accommodate each of those occasions.  I know a woman who has 1 dress that covers all 4.  Lucky jerk. I’ve been trying for 20 years to find a dress like that, but it’s somewhat like searching for the lost city of Atlantis. Realistically you know it just doesn’t exist, but your heart drives you to keep searching.

In addition to having the perfect dress for any occasion, you should also have the perfect underwear.  I can’t tell you how many women have told me that they don’t have any sexy, fun lingerie.  Seriously, ladies?  Come on!  A pretty bra is the simplest path to Look good, Feel good!  A good bra will lift and separate and make your boobs feel like they did when you were 18!  I know lingerie can be expensive, but you deserve at least one pair of panties that didn’t come out of a 5-pack.  This is one area that you deserve to spend a little on. You moms out there need this more than anyone. Once you have kids, it’s like you stop being a woman and suddenly transform into this asexual ‘Mom’ being. You deserve something that reminds you that you are still a sexy, fun, wonderful woman.

It can be really hard to maintain a positive disposition all the time.  Actually, I’d venture to say that it’s impossible.  Not only does the world heap expectations on us, but all too often we do it to ourselves. We expect to be the perfect mothers, wives, employees, neighbors, and friends. We set standards that are unattainable, then feel defeated when we come up short.  With all that pressure, we need certain tricks at our disposal to help us keep it together.  That’s what Look good, Feel good is all about.  It’s not about antiquated gender roles or meeting society’s expectation. It’s about finding ways to remind ourselves that we are fun, sexy, desirable women.  Even on the cloudiest of days.


No comments:

Post a Comment